Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
There’s one thing particular about grilling in the summertime: the aroma, the familial togetherness, the juicy meal ensuing from one’s efforts. Generally, hamburgers and sizzling canines may be anticipated on the menu, as they’re conventional necessities at summertime cookouts. This summer season, flip the script.
Trade your beef for a grain that’s extra useful on your well being, but simply as tasty: quinoa. The health concerns related to crimson meat consumption – like elevated danger of most cancers, heart problems, and mortality – needs to be sufficient to immediate the change. Not to say, quinoa is full of nutritional benefits that make it the higher alternative; it’s a superb supply of fiber, protein, manganese, and extra. It’s additionally gluten-free.
Compared to beef:
- Quinoa is considerably decrease in energy, complete fats, saturated fats, ldl cholesterol, and sodium, all of that are related to weight problems or different well being dangers.
- Quinoa provides extra fiber and iron — aiding in digestive efficiency and blood manufacturing — than a conventional floor beef patty.
- Quinoa is decrease in protein, with 8 grams per pound whereas beef provides 31 grams per pound.
However, the every day beneficial quantity of protein for a mean, sedentary girl is simply 46 grams (56 for a person). Pairing quinoa with different protein-rich meals all through the day permits one to simply attain the beneficial quantity.
Environmentally talking, grains and legumes (reminiscent of the nice northern beans and chickpeas within the following recipes) win in opposition to meat any day. A vegan diet is healthier for the Earth than one that features a whole lot of meat. From rising animal feed to watering and housing livestock to processing and transport, meat manufacturing requires ample quantities of land, water, and gasoline. Also, livestock produces methane, a robust greenhouse gasoline, and bodily waste that have to be disposed of correctly. Overall, quinoa burgers are a greater possibility than beef burgers.
Greek-style quinoa burgers are a very satisfying various to beef patties. They assume the identical form and fundamental consistency as beef patties, however they’re higher for our our bodies and the planet. Plus, they’re bursting with taste. Enjoy these two recipes in your grill this summer season.
Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers
From Martha Stewart
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa, any colour
- 1 medium carrot, reduce into giant chunks
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 15 ounces nice northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup plain, dried breadcrumbs
- 1 giant egg, evenly crushed
- 1 tablespoon floor cumin
- Coarse salt
- Ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon recent lemon juice
- 1/2 English cucumber, thinly sliced diagonally
- Use small saucepan to deliver 3/4 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa and canopy, decreasing warmth to low. Cook till liquid is absorbed, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Use blender or meals processor to cut carrot finely. Add cooked quinoa, about half of the scallions, egg, breadcrumbs, beans, cumin, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Blend till clean however nonetheless somewhat chunky.
- Make 4 3/4-inch-thick patties – stop sticking by dipping palms in water. If too comfortable, refrigerate 10 minutes. In giant nonstick skillet, warmth oil over medium warmth. Cook patties till cooked via and browned – 8 to 10 minutes on either side.
- In separate bowl, mix yogurt, lemon juice, and remaining scallions. Add salt and pepper to style. Serve patties with yogurt sauce and cucumber – in 6-inch pitas for added Greek zest. Enjoy.
Greek Quinoa Burgers
From The Healthy Maven
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, any colour, cooled utterly
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded and chopped
- 1 small crimson onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped – not in oil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper to style
- Cook quinoa as per bundle directions.
- Add cucumber to a meals processor or blender and mix till clean.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, crimson onion, parsley, and feta cheese; pulse/mix a number of instances.
- Add chickpeas and course of till it blends collectively, forming a sticky substance.
- Add quinoa, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Process till combination can simply be rolled into balls – about 40 seconds.
- Divide and make 10 balls.
- Heat a big pan over medium-high warmth and add olive oil.
- Place a number of balls in pan and flatten barely.
- Cook and flip till either side is browned, about 3 minutes.
- Serve patties heat on bun, in pita, in salad, or with out adornment.
With these two recipes at your fingertips, this summer season is the right time to make the wholesome change to a plant-based diet. If you’re not ready to give up meat you may nonetheless cut back the environmental impression of your weight loss plan. Check out this simple technique to cut your food’s carbon footprint.
Originally printed on July 14, 2015, this text was up to date in August 2022.