Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
We at the moment reside in a world barraged by plastic. Since 2010, scientists estimate 8 million metric tons of plastic have entered our oceans due to human waste. That’s roughly the identical weight as 90 plane carriers. If we do nothing to counteract this present pattern, the speed of plastic in our waterways is on monitor to extend dramatically by 2025. The encouraging information is many individuals are actively working to reverse this harmful pattern by investing in sustainable choices for packaging. One of essentially the most promising options to plastic is seaweed.
Why Seaweed Works
Kelp reveals a promising future within the packaging trade for a number of causes:
- Seaweed proliferates: As a uncooked materials, kelp proves easy to domesticate, rising as much as 3 meters a day. The complete crop is able to harvest inside slightly over a month, making the grow-time totally manageable.
- Seaweed is well accessible: Kelp grows on each shoreline. It’s additionally easy to extract from the shore or harvest a crop.
- Seaweed is cheap: Unlike different crops, it doesn’t require fertilizers or freshwater, making it comparatively low cost to supply.
- Seaweed merchandise decompose: Unlike their plastic packaging counterparts, kelp is biodegradable. Single-use straws, or containers for eating places, are biodegradable in four to six weeks. Some plastic bottles take a whole lot of years to decompose. Rather than let seaweed merchandise disintegrate, you may as well select to eat them.
- Seaweed is sustainable: Scientists acquire the fabric to ferment it and create packaging. This course of requires no chemical distillation, not like comparable supplies. The process’s solely impact is a yeast byproduct that may be transformed and fed to livestock.
Seaweed Is Innovative
Numerous startups make the most of kelp of their packaging. All are as artistic and distinctive as their uncooked materials.
- Evo & Co: Founded in Indonesia, this firm sells biodegradable packaging, cups and utensils. All merchandise help seaweed farmers in Indonesia.
- GreenWave: This firm, which fashions regenerative ocean farming, endorses a sustainable ecosystem and educates others in regards to the significance of aquaculture. GreenWave’s seaweed helps plastic options, in addition to gives schooling and alternatives for extra details about kelp packaging.
- Notpla: This London firm creates single-use plastic containers for restaurants, condiments and sauces. It often gives single-use sports activities drinks for marathons, decreasing plastic cup waste.
As the message of seaweed packaging continues to unfold, momentum will develop. More firms will see the worth of investing within the uncooked materials, and rising startups will change the way forward for packaging as we all know it.
Moving Forward With Seaweed
At the second, about 90% of all large-scale seaweed farms are positioned in Asia. More alternatives for U.S. seaweed farms will probably emerge with higher schooling in regards to the myriad benefits of reducing plastic waste and how one can make the most of kelp in packaging. This can be a smart funding on the a part of American trade, as home kelp aquaculture will guarantee now we have sufficient assets for packaging and create extra jobs in our economic system.
Another main perk of seaweed manufacturing is the general profit to our oceans, because of its skill to absorb CO2 emissions and decrease water acidity. By growing farming efforts worldwide and investing in the way forward for kelp as uncooked materials for packaging, we’re making efforts to take away carbon emissions from the ambiance.
If you hypothetically took issues a step additional and determined to farm seaweed to feed livestock, along with creating sustainable packaging, you could possibly additional reduce carbon emissions. In a research performed by the University of California, Davis, cattle lowered methane emissions by over 80% when fed a eating regimen of kelp. The way forward for seaweed farming is vivid for packaging, plastic discount and for chopping greenhouse gasoline emissions.
The Best Hope for the Future
While plastic is technically recyclable, a lot of it results in landfills or clogs waterways. We needs to be involved about plastic packaging and be actively decreasing waste day by day. However, there may be hope — seaweed affords wonderful alternatives for the way forward for packaging and general sustainability efforts within the care of our planet.
Author bio: Jane Marsh works as an environmental and vitality author. She can also be the founder and editor-in-chief of Environment.co.