Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
It wouldn’t be Christmas with out Grandma’s struffoli. She began making them on Christmas Eve, frying the little balls of dough and coating them with heat honey. She piled them into gigantic mounds and topped them with sprinkles and shaved chocolate. From Christmas Eve via New Year’s Eve, she had big trays of all of them round her condominium, even one on her cedar chest!
After Grandma was gone, Mom used to make them, and I generally would assist her. Although I don’t have the exact measurements that they used, I’ve had success with this recipe that I obtained on the web. You can discover a big selection of struffoli recipes on the net (some more complicated than this one).
First, the components:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 degree teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Crisco (melted and cooled)
- 2/3 cup honey for coating
Here are the essential directions:
- Mix collectively the dry components. Separately, mix the moist components.
- Make a effectively on a desk or pasta board with the well-combined dry components. Then add all the moist components (aside from the honey) into the “gap” of the effectively. Carefully mix the moist and dry components along with your fingers working from the within out to type a ball of dough.
- Cut the dough into smaller items after which roll every of those into snakes. Cut these into small items in regards to the dimension of the tip of your thumb and roll them into little balls.
- Deep fry the balls. When they’re golden, take away them to empty.
- Meanwhile, heat up the honey. Pour it on the marginally cooled and drained struffoli, then mix with a big spoon.
- Top with chocolate chips and sprinkles (and perhaps some candied orange peel) and that’s it!
I marvel at the truth that Grandma all the time had components like flour and sugar readily available and will make quite a lot of meals like pasta, cakes, and breads. Although she solely made elaborate treats like this yearly, I’ll all the time bear in mind Grandma’s struffoli!