Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
Easter grass is like Christmas tinsel. The tiny plastic shreds positive do look good for a short second, however afterward, you remorse having used them.
First, it’s the best way that you will see that shreds of plastic Easter grass in essentially the most random locations of your property for months after the Easter bunny has hopped away. Most importantly, although, is the truth that the petroleum-based stuff doesn’t disappear. It can’t be simply recycled. So, that faux grass that was added to an Easter basket only for look’s sake shall be in a landfill someplace lengthy after the final jelly bean has been eaten.
You don’t have to surrender the custom of the Easter basket, although, if you wish to stay an eco-friendly life-style. Here are some glorious options to plastic Easter basket grass that may be reused or composted once you’re accomplished with them!
This article accommodates affiliate hyperlinks. If you buy an merchandise by means of one among these hyperlinks, we obtain a small fee that helps fund our Recycling Directory.
- Buy Easter grass made with 100% recycled paper, a brightly coloured various to plastic grass fillers. For a pure coloration palette, use brown paper shreds obtainable at main retail and workplace provide shops, that are bought as packing supplies. Reuse the supplies as packing provides or for reward luggage afterward.
- Easter grass could be made out of shredded Aspen wood fibers for a pure addition that’s reusable and biodegradable.
- Natural raffia, produced from palm timber, is a superb various to plastic Easter grass. With a variety of colors, it’s simple to have enjoyable filling a basket.
- Make your personal Easter grass by shredding payments, tissue paper, magazines, spam, leftover crafting paper, or different items of paper that you’ve at house. You will have the ability to customise no matter look or coloration that you really want. If that’s not a great aesthetic to your Easter basket this yr, think about including shredded paper beneath ornamental Easter grass, so that you just wouldn’t have to purchase as a lot of the beautiful stuff to assist the burden of presents inside. When you’re accomplished with this concept – merely recycle the paper.
- Consider a non-traditional various to plastic Easter grass through the use of Earth-friendly wool. The fibers can be utilized in shades of inexperienced for a conventional look, or combine it up with brightly coloured strands. Afterward, reuse the wool in craft initiatives, or put it aside for future generations of Easter baskets.
- Fabric, scarves, and even cloth napkins make a singular various to plastic Easter grass – and you may reuse them again and again.
- Grow your personal Easter grass! You’ll want a head begin with this one, however if you happen to’ve obtained a few weeks of lead time, it’s tremendous simple to develop wheatgrass from seed for a pure addition to your Easter basket.
- Leafy greens, similar to kale, make glorious “grass” in an Easter basket! This eclectic addition to a conventional basket could be eaten afterward as a part of the vacation meal or thrown onto the compost pile.
So, what if you happen to simply can’t half with the age-old feel and appear of shredded plastic Easter grass? Buy a bag, however reuse it for years. Yes, the plastic shreds could be repurposed yr after yr if you happen to’re prepared to gather them and retailer them in a bag till subsequent yr’s vacation. But with so many nice options, who wants the plastic?
Feature picture courtesy of lisatener from Pixabay
Originally revealed on April 3, 2015, this text was up to date in March 2021.
You Might Also Like…