Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
It’s gift-giving season! With Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, winter solstice, New Year’s celebrations, and winter birthdays upon us, you’re probably enthusiastic about discovering the perfect gifts on your family members. And earlier than you hand over your reward, you might be most likely going to wrap it in festive wrapping. But earlier than you buy conventional wrapping paper and bows, overview our waste-free reward wrapping options for a inexperienced vacation season.
This article accommodates affiliate hyperlinks. If you buy an merchandise by one in all these hyperlinks, we obtain a small fee that helps fund our Recycling Directory.
Check Your Local Paper Recycling Rules
Frequently, wrapping paper is OK to recycle so long as it’s freed from glitter or plastic elaborations. Wrapping paper that’s simply paper is normally recyclable. You may also go for the best of wrapping paper resembling upcycling newspapers, paper luggage, magazines, maps, or different paper that you possibly can recycle domestically. Tissue paper, however, is just not all the time recyclable as it’s a very low-quality paper.
Check along with your native recycling facility and be sure to perceive what sorts of paper they’ll settle for earlier than you store for wrapping paper.
Nix the Plastic Tape
Even if you possibly can recycle wrapping paper in your space, it’s higher to keep away from plastic tape. Yes, normally you possibly can recycle paper with tape on it. But that tape will ultimately get processed out of the paper pulp and head to the landfill anyway. So, keep away from that plastic waste!
Here’s one technique to fold the paper so that you don’t have to make use of tape:
- Cut your paper to cowl the whole bundle plus two inches lengthwise.
- Then reduce the paper right into a sq..
- Adjust your field diagonally and pull the paper over it in order that it simply covers each corners to verify it’s in the suitable place. Then pull the opposite facet of the paper over the current.
- Use your fingernail to place a powerful fold within the paper on the underside edge. Then information this edge together with the nook of the paper on prime of the field, gently folding the within. You instantly have one nook completed!
- Do the identical to the instantly reverse facet. Now you could have one open facet.
- For this final step, it’s worthwhile to fold the 2 tail ends concurrently. Fold the tail of the wrapping into one in all your first folds and also you’re completed!
Watch the video from Beat the Bush to see an indication of this wrapping method.
If you’d slightly skip the folding, right here’s another choice:
Wrap the bundle as you usually would, however as an alternative of tape, simply tie a ribbon across the bundle to safe it. We do advocate not utilizing disposable plastic ribbon. Instead, contemplate compostable twine, compostable/reusable burlap ribbon, or reusable fabric ribbon.
Wrap Your Gifts in Fabric
The proper piece of material makes a terrific alternative for wrapping paper to gussy up your presents. Fabric is far more sturdy and reusable than paper. Fold the material round your reward and safe it with pins, blingy upcycled brooches, or ribbon.
You could go for the “sweet” wrapping by tying twine on either side of the reward so it resembles a wrapped onerous sweet. Be certain to reuse your cloth 12 months after 12 months. It’s nice if each you and your giftee comply with reuse and change cloth wrapping yearly!
Make or Buy Reusable Fabric Gift Bags
Take the material route a step additional and use cloth luggage that may be reused each vacation. You should buy premade luggage or make one your self.
To make a cloth reward bag:
- Take a sq. or rectangular piece and hem two reverse edges.
- Fold the material in half (proper sides collectively) after which sew up the perimeters.
- If you’d like, you possibly can sew on a size of material or ribbon close to the sting on the prime for tying the bag shut. Alternately, simply safe the bag with a chunk of twine or ribbon.
If you’re not artful, you should purchase pre-made reusable fabric bags — no stitching required!
Use Bags That Can Be Recycled
Many of us use and reuse vacation luggage 12 months after 12 months and it is a nice inexperienced behavior! But when that bag does ultimately put on out, most reward luggage are “plasticized” paper and may’t be recycled. Instead, use easier reward luggage which can be fabricated from paper could be recycled. You can fancy them up with drawings or consumable elaborations like chocolate!
Make a Paper Gift Box
You can customise the dimensions and coloration of your reward field by making your personal! Before you get began, be sure to select a kind of paper or cardboard that you would be able to recycle domestically.
Check out Gathering Beauty for directions on the best way to make a wide range of reward bins and luggage, together with this easy DIY gift box and this gift box with a lid. When you’re completed, simply safe the field with twine or ribbon to maintain the reward safe.
If you’re nonetheless on the lookout for reward concepts, try our holiday gift guides and go to the Package Free Shop for excellent zero waste presents. Want extra vacation wrapping concepts? Read 11 Low-Waste Gift Alternatives to DIY or Buy.
Originally revealed on December 9, 2020, this text was up to date in December 2021.
You Might Also Like…