Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
Bringing nature indoors with a planter field constructed from beforehand used supplies is a superb manner so as to add a contact of greenery to your private home whereas lowering your environmental influence. In this text, we are going to stroll you thru the method of making your personal planter field utilizing reclaimed wooden, a sustainable and cost-effective materials.
Before you start constructing your planter field, it is very important collect all the required supplies. Here is a listing of what you’ll need:
- Reclaimed wooden: Pallets, previous floorboards, or every other kind of reclaimed wooden will work effectively for this mission.
- Plastic planter troughs or trays: These will maintain your soil contained and forestall it from spilling onto the ground.
- Planer or thicknesser: This software will assist you make sure that the wooden is uniform in thickness and dimension.
- Dowels and glue: These will likely be used to hitch the wooden items collectively.
- Screwdriver or drill: You will want a screwdriver or drill to connect the legs and shelf to the planter field.
- Metal detector: This software will show you how to take away any nails or screws that could be embedded within the reclaimed wooden.
- Paint or stain: This will give your planter field a completed look.
- Paintbrush or curler: These will likely be used to use the paint or stain.
Preparing the Wood
Once you will have gathered your supplies, it’s time to put together the wooden. Start by taking aside the pallets or floorboards and eradicating any nails or screws. Use a metallic detector to scan the wooden for any hidden metallic objects. If you discover any, rigorously take away them with a hammer, ply bar and pliers. Then, use a planer or thicknesser to dimension the wooden items to the specified thickness.
Building the Planter Box
Now it’s time to begin constructing the planter field. Lay out the wooden items on a flat floor and use dowels and glue to hitch the wooden items collectively. Make certain that the joints are tight and safe.
The planter field featured in our tutorial video measures 103.5cm (40.75 inches) in size, 22cm (8.6 inches) in width, and 16cm (6.2 inches) in top, with the full top together with legs reaching 80cm (34.5 inches).
Once the planter field is assembled, you may add the plastic planter troughs or trays. These will assist to forestall the soil from spilling onto the ground, and they’ll additionally present drainage holes.
Adding Legs and a Shelf
To add assist and stability to your planter field, you may connect legs and a shelf. For the legs, we used slender 4×4 battens that we minimize down the center on a desk noticed. Secure the legs to the planter field with glue and screws.
For the shelf, you need to use the identical materials because the legs. Cut the slats to the specified size and fix them to the bottom of the legs with glue and a brad nailer.
Once the planter field is assembled, you may add any ending touches that you simply like. You can paint the planter field with a color of your selection, or you may stain it to deliver out the pure fantastic thing about the wooden.
We suggest utilizing a paint or stain that’s constructed from pure elements, comparable to milk paint or wooden stain. These merchandise are environmentally benign and won’t hurt your vegetation.
As you might be constructing your planter field, it’s possible you’ll encounter some imperfections within the wooden. Don’t fear about these! Embrace the imperfections, as they are going to add character and uniqueness to your planter field.
Tips for Success
Here are a number of suggestions that will help you create a profitable planter field:
- Use high-quality reclaimed wooden that is freed from nails, screws, or different particles.
- Take your time and be certain that all of the joints are tight and safe.
- If you might be utilizing stain, apply a number of skinny coats to keep away from drips and runs.
- Allow the paint or stain to dry fully earlier than including vegetation.
Enjoy Your Reclaimed Wood Planter Box
Once your planter field is completed, you may add your favorite vegetation and flowers. Your planter field is not going to solely add a contact of greenery to your private home, however it can additionally show you how to to cut back your environmental influence by reusing supplies which were discarded.
Creating an planter field is a rewarding and pleasant mission. By following these steps and utilizing reclaimed wooden, you may create an attractive and sustainable piece of furnishings that may deliver life to your private home.
About the authors
Michael Martin and Nikki Rixon began their enterprise Reclaim Design in 2013. Subscribe to their YouTube channel for extra movies full of sensible recommendation, suggestions, and inspiration that will help you dwell a extra sustainable life.