Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
This put up is generously sponsored by Terra Thread, a non-toxic and inexpensive sustainable bag model. EcoCult solely companions with manufacturers who do nice issues. Support EcoCult editorial by supporting them!
I used to be so lucky this 12 months — or relatively, so extremely cautious — to make it out of the United States Covid-free and go to Guatemala with a big group of buddies for New Year’s Eve. I had heard about the fantastic thing about this nation for years, but it surely was my first go to, and it didn’t take lengthy for me to grasp the hype… which wasn’t hype in any respect. The rumors are true: You ought to completely go for a go to.
I did the toughest and most rewarding hike of my life up a dwell volcano. I ate and drank each typical and modern-fusion meals and cocktails in Antigua. And I danced the evening away and stretched it out in a yoga class on a platform excessive above Lake Atitlán. I even did a little bit little bit of buying, and rapidly made new buddies within the worldwide neighborhood there and practiced my Spanish with the endlessly affected person and sort locals. I couldn’t actually ask for extra.
So, what do you have to carry for a profitable go to? I’ll get to a extra particular packing record under, however first, just a few total ideas:
Pack gentle. The factor about Guatemala is that it’s all hills. I don’t suppose I noticed one elevator or escalator. A buddy introduced a full-sized suitcase and I’m certain if my husband wasn’t there to schlep it for her (and throw it onto the boat because it pulled away) she would have tipped somebody properly. However, I believe you’ll be happier for those who pack gentle. And in case you have a big mountaineering backpack or duffel, carry it. I merely can not think about dragging even my carry-on-sized suitcase up and down all of the flights of stairs and hills we needed to navigate. Plus, the streets in Antigua are quaint. By that, I imply cobblestone.
It’s informal. The total crowd consists of hippies, backpackers, outdoorsy sorts, and yoga academics. The streets are cobblestone, so don’t carry heels. You’ll be leaping on and off bobbing boats and hoofing it up and down steep hills. If you present up dressed such as you’re going to a resort within the South of France, you’ll really feel very misplaced. While we did go to a few newer high-end eating places and bars in Antigua, there was by no means a costume code. So for those who’re frightened about trying cute, simply pack some lipstick and dangly earrings and name it a day.
It’s safe-ish? Guatemala has change into safer previously decade, however you continue to have to be sensible. I’ve heard a few tales about ladies on their very own after darkish getting robbed. So go away your diamonds at dwelling, don’t journey between lake cities after darkish, all the time have a trusted buddy (who’s male, if doable), and stow massive wads of money in a secure place that’s non-obvious and out of sight. Oh, and produce a headlamp.
Pack as for those who’re going to hike. The factor to do in Guatemala is hike a volcano. All your folks will do it, so that you may as properly pack for it even for those who’re not often a hiker. Like I stated, it was powerful (and really chilly on the prime!) but it surely was price it. The mountaineering expedition firm you guide with will lend you some provides, however they are usually haphazard. For instance, you may snag a shawl, fleece, hat and gloves and be comfortable, however the boots they supply are tough. (Doc Martens, anybody?) So in case you have room, pack the necessities that may make you comfy, akin to a hiking puffer coat, zip merino sweater, mountaineering boots, thick socks, and hiking pants and/or leggings.
The temperature swings. Like many mountainous areas, it’s heat in the course of the day, however the temperature drops. So pack layers. A poncho or wrap ought to do the trick.
On the Plane
This record is for while you’re flying from a chilly place to Guatemala. But even for those who’re not, every little thing in right here you’ll need for those who’re mountaineering to the highest of the volcano. Did I say it was chilly up there? It’s chilly.
- Backpack or massive purse
- Black leggings in a natural fabric – pure materials are extra comfy and odor-fighting for lengthy journey days
- Long-sleeved cotton tee
- Packable puffer – You’ll need this for the volcano hike.
- Light merino wool sweater – Black ensures for those who layer it underneath a shawl or poncho, nobody will realize it’s additionally for mountaineering. But they produce other colours in order for you one thing extra enjoyable!
- Comfortable undies in natural fabric
- Socks – I really like merino wool particularly as a result of it feels good and wicks away moisture and odor.
- Lightweight sneakers
- Sling bag – I’ve began carrying a sling bag once I journey, as a result of it provides me fast entry to my passport, pockets, and tickets, with out me having to take off my backpack.
- Passport case – We like this leather option or this recycled design. Pockets for vaccine playing cards and further passport images are essential.
- Phone and charging wire
- Laptop and laptop sleeve
- Portable cellphone charging battery
- Lifestraw purifying water bottle – Our eco-resort claimed to have filtered water, however I noticed the filter and it’s the sort you match underneath your sink within the suburbs, positively not heavy responsibility sufficient for the sort of microbes swimming across the space. All our buddies appeared to get very ailing, besides me. Because I introduced my Lifestraw. Trust nobody! Filter all of it your self.
- Wide-mouth reusable coffee cup with sealable lid – Can be used for espresso, tea, or additionally as a to-go container in a pinch for soup, fruit, snacks, and many others.
- SPF chapstick
- Hand sanitizer
- Portable spork – so that you don’t have to make use of a disposable one. Make certain it’s plastic so it doesn’t get confiscated by safety.
- Pack of tissues – For toilet emergencies
In Your Suitcase/Backpack
I’m going to reiterate right here that in case you have a big mountaineering backpack or duffel, carry it. I merely can not think about dragging even my carry-on suitcase up and down all of the flights of stairs and hills we took on simply to get to our resort at Lake Atitlan. Our lodge had stairs and no elevator. Plus, the streets in Antigua are quaint. By that, I imply cobblestone.
- Smaller backpack, tote, or web bag that packs flat – (this Terra Thread one is nice) however a cotton tote or cute net bag would additionally work nice. Just don’t pack one thing that may take up a ton of house.
- Washable button-down blouse in cotton or linen – one thing informal to put on within the solar.
- 2 tanks
- Reversible tie-top – tie it in entrance for going out, tie it in again for a extra modest look.
- Shorts – Either denims or light-weight cotton.
- Casual, wide-leg pants – in cotton or washable silk.
- Long loose jacket – Otherwise often known as a kimono, you’ll need this for swanning across the resort or leaping in an ecstatic dance.
- Poncho/serape/wrap in a pure fiber – It will get chilly at evening, so that you’ll need one to throw over your shoulders. Try one in all these from Lauren Manoogian, one in all these colorful and affordable alternatives, or one from Diarrablu. (Or, buy groceries in San Juan, the textile city, while you arrive on the lake!)
- Light sweater
- Comfortable sandals that strap onto your ft – You’ll be leaping to and from boats on the lake. Bring one thing with thick soles, too, due to these cobblestones.
- Hiking boots – If you’re doing the volcano hike, you’ll be comfortable you introduced these. Usually, I journey with path trainers, however the volcano is so slippery and steep and chilly, you’ll need the heavy-duty variety in case you have them. Hiking corporations will lend you some, however they’re fairly low-quality.
- Hiking pants – You may be capable to get away with simply leggings, however I’m glad I introduced my alpine hiking pants.
- Ankle and long socks – make no less than two pairs very heat, for the volcano hike
- Pajamas – washable silk is the simplest and most light-weight to pack. Bring a method that you may put on in the course of the day, too, for extra outfit choices.
- Packable wide-brimmed hat or baseball cap – Depending in your private model, after all. I used each.
- Costume jewelry – preserve it minimal and never too flashy. Leave the diamonds at dwelling.
- Bathing suit
- Yoga bottoms and top – You will do some yoga, belief.
- Sarong – Great as a cover-up, towel, or seaside blanket.
- Toiletry bag
- Underwear and bras
- Non-toxic sunscreen
- Headlamp or Solar lamp by Luci – Important for navigating after darkish via the lakeside cities.
- Universal sink plug– So you may wash your clothes within the sink. I used mine whereas there!
- Waterproof reusable laundry bag
- PurSteam traveling iron/steamer – this factor is tiny, however essential for those who journey with pure fibers like cotton and linen.
- Travel first support equipment
- Dramamine – If you are likely to get sick on boats
- Dr. Bronner travel-sized soap – Great for if the place you’re staying doesn’t present hand cleaning soap, or if it is advisable to wash your garments within the sink.
- Ear plugs – The partitions are usually very skinny in Guatemala, wherever you’re.
For Rainy Season