Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
This put up is generously sponsored by Nisolo, an moral footwear and way of life. EcoCult solely companions with manufacturers who do nice issues. Support EcoCult editorial by supporting them!
Oaxaca is a spot for artists.
Though we noticed one group of drunk American chicks wandering previous our mezcal bar whereas we have been there, they have been the exception to the rule. This magical desert city has an vitality that draws people who find themselves in search of inspiration, who thrive in thriller and ambiguity. Not a lot English is spoken. The liquor is difficult. The meals is spicy. The solar is harsh, and the massive hacienda doorways have secrets and techniques behind them.
So while you’re contemplating what to put on in Oaxaca, Mexico, go away your cardigans at dwelling and channel your interior Georgia O’Keeffe-meets-Frida Kahlo love little one. Think flowing cotton attire, wide-brimmed wool hats, ponchos and brilliant colours that pop towards the colour of sand.
Or, don’t pack a lot and leave room for shopping. I assist both strategy.
Some useful tips:
Get artistic. With such a vibrant group of artists and textile makers — each native and expats — the style vibe is artisanal and patterned, however with subtlety. Oaxaca can be fairly socialist and anti-establishment, so I would depart any merchandise with logos at dwelling. From Adidas to Louis Vuitton, that won’t impress right here.
Layers. It’s the desert, an space the place you sweat throughout the day and shiver at evening, so come ready.
Natural supplies. Oaxacan artisans and artists have a reverence for pure supplies, particularly cotton, wool and leather-based. On a extra sensible stage, you don’t wish to be sporting polyester (itchy and unhealthy to your woman elements), rayon viscose (attracts and retains B.O.), acrylic (identical), or pleather (sticks to your pores and skin, falls aside shortly). Merino wool wicks away moisture and lets go of odor in all temperatures (extra on why I love wool), cotton is wholesome to your pores and skin for an entire day on planes, silk is light-weight and wholesome to your pores and skin, hemp is robust and long-lasting, as is linen, and artisan-made leather accessories will last.
No dry-clean-only. The desert was made for line drying. So pack objects you’ll be able to hand wash within the sink and throw over the balcony for a fast dry.
My Traveling Outfit
I left New York City in December, so I wore heat garments that might pack down simply.
- Mini crossbody purse or sling bag – I’ve began carrying a sling bag once I journey, as a result of it offers me fast entry to my passport, pockets, and tickets, with out me having to take off my backpack.
- Wool socks – I really like merino wool particularly as a result of it feels good and wicks away moisture and odor. Check out these Nisolo socks.
- Lightweight sneakers
- Black leggings in a natural fabric – pure materials are extra snug and odor-fighting for lengthy journey days
- Linen long-sleeved button down – Tradland has some
- Packable puffer jacket
- Merino wool light sweater – you’ll be blissful you packed this should you do a hike within the close by mountains
- Comfortable undies in natural fabric
- Wide-brimmed hat – To defend your face from the cruel solar.
- City-style daytime backpack or large purse. I favored a Colombian mochila (pictured above) as a result of it packs flat however holds quite a bit and is the fitting vibe. Check out Nisolo’s tote.
- Passport case – We like this leather option or this recycled design. I’m so glad I introduced this, as a result of I caught my visa in right here, and nonetheless had it once I came upon that you’ll want to current your copy to depart Mexico, or else pay for a brand new one on the airport. Pockets for vaccine playing cards and additional passport images are essential.
- Phone and charging twine
- Portable telephone charging battery
- Grayl purifying water bottle – this goes above and past Lifestraw to additionally take out viruses and heavy metals. Crucial for Mexico!
- SPF chapstick
- Camera and lenses, further battery, battery charger, further reminiscence playing cards – I really like my compact however highly effective Fuji x-t10, with a wide-angle lens for panorama, structure, and room pictures; and a 50 mm lens for portraits and meals.
- Matador camera bag
- Earbuds that may plug into the airplane’s video console
- Hand sanitizer
- Portable spork – so that you don’t have to make use of a disposable one. Make certain it’s plastic so it doesn’t get confiscated by safety.
- Pack of tissues – this isn’t to your nostril, so don’t assume I’m advocating this over a reusable handkerchief. If you determine to highway journey wherever exterior of Mexico City or San Miguel de Allende, the remaining stops don’t present bathroom paper. Mexicans typically hold a roll of bathroom paper of their automotive for this goal.
- Reusable handkerchief – Yup, this one is to your nostril.
- Chico reusable bag with stuff sack
- SPF chapstick
- Notebook – For jotting down inspiration
In My Suitcase
- Belt – Nisolo’s Noemi belt is available in many impartial colours .
- Ankle boots
- All-purpose sandals. Nisolo’s Go-To Flatform sandal and Huarache sandal are nice on a regular basis choices. Pons Avarcas strolling sandals in camel brown are additionally an excellent choice. These final perpetually and are tremendous snug and versatile – I wore them actually daily in Oaxaca. And once I confirmed as much as lunch with Hannah from Manos Zapotecas, I noticed she has the very same pair.
- Jewelry? – I had a lot enjoyable jewellery procuring, that I really want I hadn’t packed something besides my ear studs.
- Toiletry bag
- Ably white t-shirt – This has stain-resistant expertise, which is essential should you’re touring!
- Reversible washable tie top – I wore this to the seaside and out on New Year’s Eve in Oaxaca. Tie it within the again and it’s a beautiful high that goes with any backside, from denims to a skirt. Tie it within the entrance and it’s tremendous attractive.
- Cozy sweater
- Poncho/serape in a pure fiber – Of course, Mexican girls love their ponchos and serapes. They could be wrapped round your neck as a shawl, thrown on within the morning while you get away from bed, or layered over a pleasant outfit. Try one in every of these from Lauren Manoogian or Voz.
- Par en Par mustard gown/costume – I can put on this as a seaside cowl up, a costume, or a gown. And Par en Par’s wealthy colours have been made for the desert.
- Jumpsuit – I like those from Ozma and Mara Hoffman
- Wide-leg trousers
- Minimalist sundress
- White tank
- Leather jacket – Try one of these.
- Wool or cashmere poncho/serape – So I really didn’t pack this. I purchased a fringed cashmere serape in San Miguel de Allende from Recreo, and it turned probably the most beloved factor in my suitcase! It could be draped round you in chilly climate, is acceptable for town or the resort, and also you’re basically sporting a blanket, however stylishly. If that price ticket is just too excessive for you (comprehensible), attempt this from Victoria Road, and these from VOZ. You may also purchase this as a memento while you arrive to Oaxaca.
- Chila Bag – You can flat pack this in your suitcase however it holds quite a bit! I bought the camel brown one, which fits with my Pons Avarcas.
- Wool socks – Merino wool retains your ft cool or heat, and wicks away odor and sweat. Check out our socks roundup here.
- Sarong – Great as a canopy up, towel, or seaside blanket. I bought mine in India from Anokhi, however in fact you may get these wherever!
- Pajamas – I selected this set as a result of I may put on the t-shirt individually out in public (and did!), and the shorts to the seaside.
- Bathing suit
- PurSteam traveling iron/steamer – this factor is tiny, however essential!
- Travel yoga mat – So you may get an excellent lengthy stretch in each morning, no matter the place you might be. I fold mine up and pack it contained in the suitcase.
- 3 bras and 8 pairs of underwear.
- Universal sink plug – So you’ll be able to wash your clothes within the sink
- Travel dry line – Drying one thing on a line versus over the railing or on the ground makes an enormous distinction in time spent. (I misplaced my bikini high in Hawaii drying it on the railing!) I like this one as a result of it comes with a stuff sack.
- Waterproof reusable laundry bag
- Travel first assist package – Get a basic one, then add in drugs you’ll want, like malaria tablets, altitude treatment, ibuprofen, imodium, and so on.