Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This page may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something that I have recommended. There is no additional cost to you whatsoever.
Do you may have some 5-gallon buckets that you simply’re not utilizing? These heavy-duty buckets are ripe for repurposing initiatives. I’m sharing a couple of of my favourite methods to repurpose them — as a hen feeder, a mini vegetable backyard, and a worm farm to make nice compost for the backyard.
Even in case you don’t have any of those large buckets, you possibly can usually discover them free of charge at native bakeries, ice cream outlets, and different food-related companies. They’re typically completely satisfied so that you can take them, particularly when you clarify what you’re planning on doing with them.
You’re not essentially restricted to 5-gallon buckets — a smaller measurement would possibly be just right for you. But do you’ll want to use food-safe buckets — this is the reason I counsel you attempt to discover ones that food-related companies don’t need anymore. You can inform in the event that they’re food-safe by the plastic recycling code stamped on the underside. Number 2 is greatest, however numbers 1, 4, and 5 are good second decisions.
5-Gallon Bucket Chicken Feeder
Do you may have backyard chickens? This upcycling mission could also be for you! When I first noticed this concept on a neighborhood gardening present, I wasn’t certain if it could work. I imply, how do chickens know there’s meals inside? They aren’t recognized to be the neatest creatures on earth, in spite of everything. However, I judged too quickly — it took my chickens about 60 seconds to get the dangle of it.
This feeder is a money-saver! I’ve saved a lot on hen meals, I might have purchased a bucket for $100 and nonetheless saved heaps of cash. Take a take a look at this video, which exhibits how properly it really works.[embedded content]
This bucket feeder has eradicated my vermin downside — I hadn’t realized that they have been consuming no less than half of the chickens’ feed every week. The feeder retains the meals off the bottom and dry (no moldy meals!) and it retains the chickens entertained (much less bickering!).
What you want:
- 5-gallon bucket with lid
- Eye bolt
- Toggle (like a small piece of wooden)
- A strategy to dangle it (rope, wire, and so forth.)
How to make it:
- Drill a gap within the backside of the bucket, barely smaller than the scale of the attention bolt you’re going to make use of. We used a 19 mm eye bolt and drilled a gap roughly 16 mm extensive. The thought is that the attention doesn’t fall via the outlet, however the meals does.
- Insert the attention bolt via the outlet from the within of the bucket and connect your toggle of alternative on the backside outdoors the bucket.
- Fill your bucket with pellets and dangle it up. (Grain didn’t work as properly for us as pellets. If you feed grain, you might must mess around with bolt and gap sizes to make it work.)
- Put a couple of items of feed on the toggle to get the chickens used to how the feeder works. As they peck the toggle, the attention bolt strikes and a small quantity of meals falls out.
You can see extra photographs and particulars in my weblog submit about our 5-gallon chicken feeder.
Vegetable Garden in a 5-Gallon Bucket
Veggies develop surprisingly properly in these deep buckets. A significant benefit of repurposing the buckets as a container garden for veggies: it provides you full management of the soil, which is especially helpful in case your backyard soil is difficult. Our soil comprises a variety of clay, which isn’t ideally suited for a lot of greens. Carrots, for instance, are a nightmare to develop in clay soil.
Because the 5-gallon buckets are deep, you’ll don’t have any points rising carrots or some other deep-rooted vegetable. Potatoes and candy potatoes are tremendous simple to reap too — simply tip the bucket.
One factor I haven’t accomplished but however am planning on doing: It’s greatest to color white buckets a darkish shade to guard your vegetation’ roots from mild.
What you want:
- 5-gallon bucket — no lid required. Although, in case you’d prefer to develop greens from seed, the lid is useful as a germination “greenhouse” and for pest safety.
- Optional: pipe or hose for an irrigation system
- Drainage materials like coconut coir, gravel, or sand
How to make it:
- Step one is drainage. Drill a great variety of holes within the backside of the bucket. I did about 10 of them. Don’t make them too small or they’ll get clogged up too simply.
- Add a layer of drainage barrier within the backside. I used coir as a result of I had a block of it mendacity round. You can use sand, gravel, or rocks, too.
- Insert the irrigation pipe in case you’re utilizing it. I like utilizing the pipe as a result of it will get water proper right down to the roots of the vegetation, nevertheless it’s not obligatory.
- To make the irrigation pipe, I used a bit of two” poly pipe we already had. You can use something you possibly can drill small holes into — large backyard hose, tubing, and so forth. I’ve additionally efficiently “threaded” soaker hose via the soil of a number of buckets in a row.
- Add a cap to the underside of the pipe to cease water from operating straight out the underside.
- Drill small holes across the size of the pipe and place it within the heart of the bucket.
- Fill the soil across the pipe and plant your veggies.
Most forms of greens may be multi-planted. You can match, for instance, about 15 carrot vegetation in a single 5-gallon bucket. Some vegetation, like blueberries, are greatest on their very own. I’ve outlined the 30 greatest greens for bucket rising, together with the portions you possibly can slot in one bucket, in my article, 30+ Edible Plants to Grow in a 5-Gallon Bucket.
Even if in case you have loads of house in your backyard, these buckets make vegetable gardening a lot enjoyable, they usually’re simple. I’ve discovered they’re extra pest resistant and require much less water than veggies within the floor — plus you possibly can take them with you anyplace you go.
Worm Farm and Composter
One last nice thought for repurposing 5-gallon buckets is to make use of them for compost. If you haven’t heard of vermicomposting, it’s a straightforward strategy to make compost even in case you don’t have a yard — letting worms do the be just right for you. If you’d like to take a look at the way to compost in a bucket, head over to my article, Composting and Worm Farming in a 5-Gallon Bucket.
Thanks a lot for studying my article and being on this journey of recycling, repurposing, and creating much less waste.
Feature picture courtesy of Elle from Outdoor Happens
About the Author
Elle Meager is the founding father of Outdoor Happens, a web site devoted to serving to individuals backyard, increase animals, develop their very own meals, and turn out to be extra self-sufficient. She is a professional permaculture trainer and grasp gardener, and her recommendation has been featured in locations like Bobvila, Mother Earth News, Apartment Therapy, and Realtor.com.